Australian Curriculum: Geography
Following the meeting of Standing Council on School Education and Early Childhood on 10 May 2013, ACARA has released the Foundation to Year 10 Australian Curriculum: Geography. The Australian Geography Teachers Association (AGTA) expresses its sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to the development of this new curriculum.
Putting together the national jigsaw for geography
During the past year AGTA has been actively involved in the development of
- the Australian Curriculum: Geography through the work of the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA)
- GeogSpace online resources with Education Services Australia (ESA) to support the implementation of the new geography curriculum.
AGTA considers that both of these developments are critical for the future growth of geography in our schools and certainly warrants the energy and financial commitment AGTA has made to the process. The curriculum has reached the final stages of writing, consultation and validation and is due for release in 2013. Whilst this work has created an increased workload and investment from AGTA and its officers we continue to put together the 'National Geography Jigsaw' to promote geographical education in Australia.
The world of geography in Australian schools continues to be a dynamic and exciting one for teachers and students. AGTA's capacity to deliver continues to be tested by the challenges of promoting the 'brand' of geography in the new National Education Agenda and putting together the jigsaw for the implementation of a National Curriculum for Geography. AGTA continues to meet these challenges with confidence and continues to be seen by others in the education community as an association of high standards and professionalism. Such a reputation is only possible through the support and hard work of all Directors on the AGTA Board and teacher members of affiliates.
Exploring 21st Century Geography DVD
An outstanding collection of teaching resources including spatial technologies/GIS units. The DVD contains:
- articles and resources on 21st century Geography
- GIS skills development, GIS in Physical Geography and Historical GIS books – course processes and activities with geographical data
- 21st Century Internet sites
- technology in the geography classroom articles, internet sites and resources
- inquiry project design and work samples.